Submission Rules + Regulations
Who Can Enter
The contest is open to individuals who:
- Live in Canada; with the exception of the Province of Quebec
- Are between 14 and 18 years old as of December 31st, 2018
- Enter as individuals or as part of a team of up to five people (note: prizes to be awarded by submission, not based on the number of people making a submission)
- Obtain consent to enter the contest from their parent or guardian
- May be immediate family of CPIA members, but are not immediate family members of CPIA employees or providers of professional services to CPIA
- May be a previous Plasticurious winner, providing each of the above criteria are met.
Type of Submission
Video shot on any device (smartphone, tablet, SLR digital camera, video camera).
Contestant choice: selfie/talker, documentary, comedy, action, drama, musical, animation or other format of contestant’s design.
Length and Size
Entries of two to four minutes long.
Produced in English or French.
Videos must be written, produced and shot by the contestant(s). The video must not infringe upon or violate any laws or any third-party rights, including, but not limited to, copyright, patent, trademark, trade secret or other proprietary rights and must not lead to any cause of action including libel, defamation, privacy violation, contract breach or tort. Contestants must obtain all necessary permissions, licenses, clearances, releases, waivers of moral rights and other approvals from third parties (including but not limited to all copyright holders and all individuals appearing in the video submission) necessary to use the video submission, in whole or in part, in any way, including without limitation, to reproduce, make derivatives, edit, modify, translate, distribute, transmit, publish, license and broadcast the video submission worldwide, by any means. Any and all such permissions, licenses, clearances, releases, waivers of moral rights and approvals must be provided upon submission of the video.
Click here to find out more about adding music, photos and video clips from other sources.
- 11:59pm, December 31st, 2018
Upload videos here. Entries will be previewed by contest officials to ensure the rules and regulations have been met, then approved for the entrant to distribute under the “Fan Fav” and “Super Sharer” prize options.
“The Canadian Plastics Industry Association (“CPIA”) reserves the right to disqualify any entry based on content and/or production that is offensive, libelous, plagiarized, too large a file size, too long, produced in part or in whole by people outside of the age group or contains copyright materials.”
All video submissions must be respectful and courteous. Contestants are fully responsible for everything that they submit, and all videos are intended for public viewing.
Plasticurious takes your safety seriously; your personal safety and the safety of your cast, crew and others involved with the production of the video submission must be maintained. Do not endanger anyone during the making of your video.
If you portray dangerous tasks you must follow all safety rules and take all precautions to prevent injuries. If you are filming on a real work site, get permission from the site owner, take all appropriate health and safety precautions including following all applicable health and safety policies and regulations. You will need to consult with your employer, supervisor or other competent individual when on the site to advise them of what you are doing, who will be on their site, their ages and ensure you are aware of and follow all site safety requirements.
Review your video production plans and discuss and address any safety issues with your parent or guardian before starting production of your video.
Protect Your Privacy
To protect your own privacy and the privacy of others, do not include personal information such as phone numbers, social insurance numbers, banking information, resumes or email addresses in the videos.
By submitting to the Plasticurious Video Contest, you and your parent or guardian agree that:
- The information in the video submitted is original and was created by you/your team.
- You agree to be bound by the rules and regulations of the Plasticurious Video Contest.
- You have the legal right to submit your video to the Plasticurious Video Contest.
- No copyrighted materials are included in your submission.
- You have obtained the necessary clearances for people, archive footage and music in the video.
- You irrevocably and in perpetuity grant CPIA and its agents, without compensation, the right to use the video submission, in whole or in part, in any way, including without limitation, to reproduce, make derivatives, edit, modify, translate, distribute, transmit, publish, license and broadcast the video submission worldwide, by any means and to use it in any advertisement, publication or promotion, for general news or other information purposes.
Judging the Videos
Prize winners will be selected by a panel of judges named by the CPIA. Judges may include communication professionals, CPIA staff and members, government and agency officials and people who may work in the field of film, arts, innovation, manufacturing, and technology and/or the environment.
Entries will be judged on weighted criteria that include:
- Content clearness and effectiveness of the video in narrating a story about the positive role that plastic can have in our lives. Examples include how plastics are part of nearly all aspects of everyday life, giving us tools to educate, entertain, exercise and keep us safe. They advance healthcare, make it possible to explore the depths of the ocean and the far reaches of space; and extend the shelf life of the food we enjoy. You can check out this page for more inspiration.
- Technical expertise, quality of the camera and audio work, effectiveness of the editing and strength of the script.
- Innovation, originality and creativity, and impact telling your story in a fresh, positive and compelling way, appealing to a broad and diverse audience, and the ability to create awareness and encourage thought and action.
Prizes will be awarded as indicated in the Prizes section. No substitutions. See the Contest Details section for details.
Entries that will not be judged
CPIA will not judge videos that are offensive to an individual or an organization, rude in tone, or abusive.
CPIA reserves the right to refuse, edit or remove any of the following:
- Racist, hateful, sexist, homophobic, slanderous, insulting, or life-threatening content;
- Serious, unproven, unsupported, or inaccurate accusations against individuals or organizations;
- Abusive, aggressive, coarse, explicit, vulgar, violent, obscene, or pornographic content;
- Content that encourages or suggests illegal activity;
- Announcements, solicitations, advertisements, or endorsements of any organizations and agencies;
- Attempts to defame or defraud any individual, group or agency; and
- Unintelligible or irrelevant content.
Anyone acting contrary to these rules may be temporarily or permanently excluded from the contest’s spaces, accounts and channels, where applicable.
CPIA reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the contest for any reason, without any prior notice to any contestant.
No entries will be returned. All entries become the property of CPIA.
These rules may be changed without notice or reason including, if necessary, to comply with any applicable law. By entering this contest, contestants agree to abide by these rules and acknowledge that the contest organizers shall not be responsible for any damages, costs, demands, claims or losses of any kind, incurred by any contestant as a result of participation in this contest.
The Plasticurious Video Contest will not be held responsible for any legal disputes regarding the exhibition of your video.
All costs associated with making and submitting a video are the contestant’s responsibility.
This contest shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the Province of Ontario and any applicable federal laws of Canada. These rules govern all aspects of the contest and are binding on all contestants and all other participants including parents, legal guardians and team members who enter to contest.
This contest is void where prohibited by law.
Plasticurious collects only the personal information needed for the contest and uses it only as specified in the contest Rules. Personal information collected from video submitters to the Plasticurious Video Contest will never be sold or provided to other organizations.
The contest finalists’ names will be announced publicly as a part of the video contest award recognition process. If we wish to use or disclose contestants’ personal information for any other purpose, we will contestants for consent.